Through the network of ESA Technology Brokers, partners in Oil & Gas identified technology needs that your organisation may be able to address:
Strong robotics needs in Oil & Gas:
- Autonomous underwater roving vehicles for (a) pipeline/assets inspections and surveillance; and (2) ocean bottom seismic.
Example 1: Pipeline leak detection systems under 7 m of sand in trenches, allowing for 30 yr monitoring and inspection
Example 2: technologies that quickly pinpoint potential leaks or natural seepages in deepwater and Arctic (ice) environments.
- Aerial ‘drones’ for (1) inspection and surveillance; and (2) hydrocarbon detection: example: Iraq, Nigeria
- Maintenance robots: cleaning and inspection
- Technologies & concepts that allow for normally unmanned operations (offshore or arctic assets): HSE and $$ savings
- Automated/robotic drilling for offshore and unconventional O&G. E.g. robotic joining and welding techniques for pipelines and drillstrings
Strong sensing needs in Oil & Gas:
- fibre-optic sensors relay digital information on temperature, pressure and other field conditions to control centers. This information can help make quick extraction decisions and increase the total amount of oil recovered from a field by 10%.
- Micro fluidic sensors: links into smart wells, EOR and water platforms. Use cheap, small sensors in fluid or gas flow to detect its composition. Technology exists in other industries, needs right packaging and amending to detect our chemicals.
- Smart sensors that detect lubricant quality (“how much life is left?”)
- Miniaturization of in-field diagnostics and testing methodologies for lubes and/or fuel quality, consumption, etc