In this section you can find the abstracts of Portuguese technologies supported by the Technology Transfer Network (TTN). These were submitted by Portuguese companies or R&D institutions working with Instituto Pedro Nunes (IPN), as technology broker for the European Space Agency (ESA), to boost their business around technology in new markets.
- 40 liter Cool Gas Generator for Safety Applications05.08.2014"This Cool Gas Genarator (CGG) is a direct descendant of the CGG’s that have been flying in space on board the Proba 2 satellite for 7 years. A terrestrial version of this CGG was developed for safety applications and is now being used in fire extinguishing applications. This type of cool gas generator has been through extensive testing by different aerospace and safety programmes. These tests prove that the guaranteed life time of cool gas generators units is 10 years, and presumably even longer (more than 15 years). One of the main applications is to pressurize tanks containing fire extinguishing fluids. CGG’s allow the manufacture of compact and maintenance free fire extinguishers." By CGG Technologies For more information, please contact email@example.com and visit the website: www.cgg-technologies.com
- ESA Patent 471 - Power or voltage measuring circuit includes sampling, comparison with threshold and counting high and low values to determine thermal noise power29.05.2014Power or voltage measuring circuit includes sampling, comparison with threshold and counting high and low values to determine thermal noise power. The main objective of the invention is to measure the power of noise in a highly linear bias-free manner. Outline of benefits of the technology: - Reduced sensitivity to temperature. - A greater linearity with a broad dynamic gamma. - The device does not almost have “offset” Some non-space applications: - Electrical Medical instruments. - Domestic Electronics. - Scientific Instruments. - Geophysics and nuclear radiation. - Broadcasting, Radio and TV. - Audio/Video recording systems - Aviation, Marine and Radar Systems. For more information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- ESA Patent 498 - Pulse-Coded Remote Calubration of an Active Phased Array System29.05.2014The invention is based in a phased array system calibration method for space applications, involves updating estimates of invertible functions and individual complex values by removing modified. It relates to a remote calibration scheme for an active phased array system, more particularly for an active phased array antenna used in transmission and reception, and even more particularly for a satellite-borne synthetic aperture radar (SAR) antenna. Since 2005, the European Space Agency is the mayor assignee. The application of the technology involves cost savings in initial hardware development, antenna AIV (assembly, integration and verification) and normal SAR calibration operations. Other applications of the technology could be the following: - radio navigation and radar - finding radio signal direction - microwave radiators for near-field therapeutic - transmission of digital information and wave transmission - multiplex and telephonic communication (circuits for controlling/telephone switching apparatus). For more information, please contact email@example.com.
- GNSS Galileo Code Receiver14.04.2014The company is a private Portuguese Aerospace Engineering company, delivering advanced design solutions and turn-key space SW systems. Building on a solid team of highly motivated and specialized engineers, the company is now a reference player in the European space sector. The company offers the Galileo Code Receiver (GCR) - an advanced GNSS receiver targeting cost effective, high navigation accuracy (down to 20cm) requirements for professional applications. Its high multipath resilience and low tracking noise is ideal for harsh environments (e.g. urban environments, close to tree canopies and other objects), outperforming the existing GPS solutions. The company is opened to set up technology licensing agreements with end users and system integrators (OEM and Value Added Resellers) willing to take advantage of early access to its technology for new applications or improved systems. For more information, please visit: http://www.esa-tec.eu/technologies/from-space/gnss-galileo-code-receiver/
- Silica-based Aerogel14.04.2014Active Aerogels is a Portuguese private owned company that produces and commercializes aerogels for several applications in space, oil & gas, aeronautics, building and wastewater treatment. Aerogel is a solid with unusual properties, such as ultra-light and very low thermal conductivity due to its high porosity. Aerogels can resist large temperature ranges (-180ºC to 350ºC), vibration and high vacuum and may be supplied in blocks, blankets or powder. Active Aerogels provides solutions for highly demanding thermal requirements and is namely looking to test new applications or to adapt aerogels to specific needs. For more information, please visit: http://www.esa-tec.eu/technologies/from-space/silica-based-aerogel/
- IFAS – Intelligent Fault Alarm System14.04.2014IFAS was developed by a Portuguese research group (CA3) within UNINOVA Research Institute. It is a software implementation of a monitoring and early warning system that can be applied to multiple domains involving multiple sensor data. It is a highly flexible mechanism that can be easily adapted to particular problem and has the capability of dealing with imprecision, allowing the system to issue levels of warnings before an error actually occurs. It extracts data from sensors, and semi-automatically transforms and represents it as linguistic variables - with a flexible reasoning process that can detect different levels of deviations (errors) from nominal behaviours. For more information, please visit: http://www.esa-tec.eu/technologies/from-space/ifas-intelligent-fault-alarm-system/
- Verification and validation of safety-critical systems – Fault Injection14.04.2014The solution is provided by an international company offering dependable solutions, services, and software technologies for safety-critical and business-critical information systems, namely embedded control systems in the Aeronautics, Space, Defence, Railway and Automotive segments. The fault injection technology is particularly appropriate for contexts of high availability, reliability, and safety requirements, where failures may lead to the loss of human life, or otherwise result in serious damage to property or cause significant financial losses to businesses. The company is looking for technical / strategic engineering partnerships for further technological developments, testing and roll-out of new applications, and adaptation of the technologies to novel business needs. For more information, please visit: http://www.esa-tec.eu/technologies/from-space/verification-and-validation-of-safety-critical-systems-fault-injection/
- OSS Innovative Open Sandwich Structure Technology14.04.2014Open Sandwich Structure (OSS) is a crossover technology for applications in primary and secondary structures, offering a unique design allowance regarding bi-directional properties, non-flat geometries and integrated functionality. Current application projects are aircraft fuselage structures, rail and naval flooring panel and structural integrated thermal protection systems. The technology was developed by a SME based in Portugal and Germany. Seeks for industrial partners to advance current applications and develop new applications in space and aeronautics domain. For more information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- High-availability control and data acquisition systems based on ATCA14.04.2014The Portuguese Institute for Plasma and Nuclear Fusion (IPFN) adopted PICMG’s Advanced Telecommunications Computing Architecture (ATCA) industry standard to develop C&DA instrumentation. ATCA is the most promising architecture to substantially enhance the performance and capability of existing standard systems delivering high throughput and high availability, features of greater importance in steady-state operation scenarios. For this offer, IPFN is looking for a licensing agreement, to test new applications of the technology or to transfer the knowledge to a manufacturer for industrial applications. For more information, please contact: email@example.com